The goal in my life is to be as happy as possible as often as possible. This has been a work in progress but there are some things that never change. Here are 10 things that have helped me achieve happiness.
10 Ways to Live a Happier Life
- Always be kind. Leave people happier when they walk away from you; from a customer service employee greeting you at the door of a store to a co worker that you run into by the coffee maker. Being kind takes very little effort.
- Smile. This may sound silly but it’s so important to smile. From people you walk by on the street to your friends when they’re telling you a story. Smile as often as you can and spread happiness wherever you go.
- Support your friends and family. When someone confides in you about something they are passionate about, support them. Whether they are a runner, a musician, or simply passionate about food, listen to them and recognize the joy they feel when they’re talking or doing what they love.
- Practice self awareness. Understand why you do the things you do. When something makes you tick, get to the bottom of it. A lot of times it’s something as simple as being hungry or tired when we snap at others.
- Understand different perspectives. Figuring out that different people value different things is very important. There are always so many sides to one story and its beneficial to know we are all different and handle situations differently. Something that is so obvious to you might not be to someone else.
- Show gratitude. Nothing in life is promised and we have to sometimes pause our lives to just be grateful that we’re breathing. Our lives can get hectic and small nuances can bring us down. Always have a reference point of something so obvious that you take for granted; from your parents, to a physical body part, be grateful.
- Never stop learning. Everyone has something you can learn from them. Challenge yourself and take something away from every experience or conversation you have. This will in turn make you value deeper connections then gossiping or socializing will get you.
- Find your passions. I don’t have one passion, I have many. From fashion, to working out, to giving advice, to blogging, there are so many things that make me feel alive.
- Surround yourself with people you love and who love you. Be around people that bring value to your life who appreciate your presence and vice versa. Life’s too short to be wasting it with anyone else.
- Understand that what makes you happy isn’t the same as what makes someone else happy. Society tells us that we want more money, a bigger house and a nice car but is that really what you value? Don’t buy a new car just because your neighbor did. Don’t take that promotion just to impress other people. Do what makes you happy.
Searching for happiness has always been such a big part of my life. I don’t take the life I have for granted and I want to get the most I can out of it.
I hope you can take something away from this! Xx